+  Operation Market Garden
|-+  News and Info
| |-+  News
| | |-+  Community Update and Balance Patch 12 May 2019
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Community Update and Balance Patch 12 May 2019  (Read 23695 times)
RazorSixActual
Development

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2019, 10:56:09 PM »

Community Update and Balance Patch I

Today, 12/05/2019, we were supposed to hold a community meeting, but due to the forum bug and timing we have since changed our Community meeting to next Saturday, 18/05/2019, at 7pm GMT. Please come join us. As for today we opted to hold a development meeting about implementing today’s current patch. At the bottom of this post you can find the change log for the balance changes.

New Development Team Changes:

- In an effort to relieve UKPowermax of some of his mod workload UK is stepping down from the balance team and his position is turning over to Otto Von Saxony. Otto’s inclusion into the dev team is part of an overall effort to bring more players into development, and to shift OMG workload to release larger and more well designed updates to the community faster.

- The R&R teams duties within the mod are being increased to better handle the mods needs, R&R will now be known as Community Management

- Due to Unlimited’s time restraints on playing the mod, moderating issues, debugging the mod, coding the mod, and participating in the mods community discussions, Unlimited is stepping down from R&R/Community Management to focus on his role as a developer. Huge thanks to Unlimited for his work in his help seeing this patch out today.

- Joining Community Management will be both UKPowermax and Robieman

More information on the duties of Community Management will be placed in a separate post. For comments and concerns on the new role of Community management, please post in that respective thread.

Reminder for Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/OMGmod

Dozens of man hours of work have gone into releasing today’s patch, and while everyone who has committed themselves to this work understands that they are not going to be compensated for it, it is also these same people who are paying for the mod. Guys if you appreciate the mod and have fun playing it, please consider donating to the Patreon. We are currently relying on some very generous monthly donations that are coming from a disproportionately small group of people, and the rest of this tab is being picked up by development members. The mod is expensive, but if everyone who has played more then a few games last war donated just two dollars, our budget would be fully covered.

Balance Patch Notes

WarCP

• 5 starting VPs
  • 1 VP gained per game played
  • Max VPs 25
  • VPs no longer lost on migration

Maps
New
  • Nuenen 4p
  • Operation Deadstick 4p
  • Airfield Assault 6p
  • Deserted Village 6p
  • Egletons 6p
  • Eindhoven 6p
  • The Scheldt 6p
Updated
  • Amfreville 6p
  • St Lambert 6p

Doctrines

Wehrmacht

Terror
Heroes of the Wehrmacht
  • Bonuses from 15% to 10%
  • VP cost from 4 to 6

Medical Reformation
  • From 5 MP40s to 2

Fog of War
  • VP cost from 3 to 2

Blitz
Rush to the front
  • VP cost from 5 to 3

Heavy Mortar Bombardment
  • Shell drop rate and shell number increased by 33% done
  • VP cost from 5 to 3

Blitzkrieg
  • Munitions cost from 90 to 70
  • VP cost from 5 to 2

Defensive
Advanced warning
  • VP cost from 4 to 5

Stronghold
  • Passive health regeneration increased by 100%
  • Extra HP on bunkers from +20% to +30%

Registered Artillery
  • Munitions cost from 60 to 50
  • VP cost from 3 to 1

Rocket Artillery
  • VP cost from 7 to 4

Surplus Munitions
  • Fixed a bug where the burst duration bonus could apply twice.

Panzer Elite

Tank Hunters
Schmeissers
  • VP cost from 5 to 3

Improved Scopes
  • VP cost from 6 to 3

Scorched Earth
Osftfront Veterans
  • G43 Suppressive Volley upgrade munitions cost from 90 to 100

Luftwaffe
Shift the Lines
  • VP cost from 4 to 3

Suppressive Tactics
  • Lmg34 firerate increased, damage and burst duration decreased.
  • Cooldown from 90s to 180s, and Duration from 15 seconds to 12 seconds.

Butterfly Bombs
  • VP cost from 5 to 3

Americans

Infantry
Here to clean up this mess
  • Rangers can no longer buy quadruple bazookas. Ability instead allows removing Bazookas entirely and refunding the base munitions, as well as enabling a four BAR upgrade on rangers.

Potato Grenades
  • VP cost from 5 to 1

Medical Emergency
  • VP cost from 2 to 4

Long Tom Support
  • VP cost from 5 to 3

Smoke will block out the Sky
  • Time between shells from 2.5-3s to 1.25-1.75s
  • VP cost from 5 to 2

Snare Traps
  • Uses from 4 to 2
  • Munitions cost from 30 to 20

Airborne
Recon Run
  • VP cost from 3 to 1

Strafing Run
  • VP cost from 6 to 4

Recoilless Rifles
  • Munitions cost from 200 to 180

Brits

Royal Engineers
Speaking from the pulpit
  • VP cost from 3 to 1

Maneuver Training
  • VP cost from 6 to 4

Prepared Fighting Positions
  • VP cost from 7 to 5

Commandos
25 Pounder Barrage
  • VP cost from 5 to 3
  • Decoy munitions price from 20 to 5

Proper Encryption
  • VP cost from 5 to 3
  • Munitions cost from 60 to 40

Radio Disruption
  • VP cost from 3 to 1

RCA
Creeping Barrage
  • VP cost from 5 to 4
Devils Brigade
  • Now has elite Criticals and only decloaks on second shot. (Beta Change: Please tell us if some weapon cant kill them.)

General

Wehrmacht
  • Panther skirts cost from 110 munitions to 90 fuel
  • Panzer 4 skirts from 100 munitions to 80 fuel
  • Stug skirts from 80 munitions to 60 fuel
  • Stuh skirts from 90 munitions to 70 fuel
  • Ostwind from 11 pop to 10 pop
  • Puma resupply from 3 to 4
  • Halftrack resupply from 3 to 10
  • Bike resupply from 4 to 10
  • Walking Stuka pop from 6 to 7
  • Walking Stuke Manpower cost from 200 to 250
  • Stormtrooper 4 MP44 upgrade munitions cost from 170 to 150
  • Pioneer flamer munitions cost from 65 to 55
  • Grenadier lmg42 munitions cost from 75 to 80.

Panzer Elite
  • Panther skirts cost from 110 munitions to 90 fuel
  • Panzer 4 IST skirt cost from 80 munitions to 60 fuel
  • StuP skirt cost from 100 munitions to 80 fuel
  • Scout Car pop from 3 to 2
  • Scout Car HMG upgrade from 70mp, 40 fu to 60mp, 30fu, 1pop
  • Fallschirmjäger pool from 10 to 15
  • Infantry Halftrack resupply from 5 to 10
  • Luftwaffe Infantry manpower cost from 210 to 200
  • G43 Suppressive Volley munitions cost from 80 to 90
  • Hummel/Sturmpanzer flame round accuracy vs trenchs from 0.1 to 1, damage from 0.5 to 0.2
  • Sprint is now granted by the Veteran Sergeant upgrade

Americans
  • Assault Airborne Thompson munitions cost from 180 to 160
  • Ranger Thompson munitions cost from 150 to 140
  • Ranger BAR munitions cost from 160 to 140
  • Engineer Flamer munitions cost from 70 to 60
  • BAR suppression munitions cost from 95 to 85
  • Quad Halftrack fuel cost from 100 to 80
  • M10/M18 pop reduced from 10 to 9
  • Greyhound resupply from 3 to 4
  • T17 resupply from 3 to 4
  • Halftrack resupply from 4 to 10
  • Jeep resupply from 4 to 10
  • Mechanized Infantry resupply from 2 to 4

Brits
  • Overrepair now decays at 0.66 hp/s, down to 50% (tanks) / 60% (medium vehicles) / 66% (light vehicles)
  • LT resupply from 2 to 3
  • Universal Carrier resupply from 4 to 10
  • Commandos from 140 to 130 munitions
  • Kangaroo Carrier pop from 6 to 4
  • Stuart Flamethrower pop from 8 to 7
  • Sergeant upgrade manpower cost from 50 to 40

Balance notes (essentially log of the last balance meeting)
Rangers - Lets see what happens post balance patch
Medics - We recognize that this is a strong strategy, but we want to wait and see post-patch with doctrinal changes. Sprint and durability now cost about a quarter of your total VP allowance to unlock.
Hummel flame round - Has 0.1 accuracy vs trench, should be 1 in line with MHT flame round, will also affect the Sturmpanzer
Snipers - General feeling is no change yet required as no real desire felt from community for change.
Grenades for pioneers and volks for the defensive doctrine unlock- Volks OK, pioneers to get a slight discount. This will involve creating a new upgrade in the WarCP code, feasibility checked with UK and is okay. 25mu suggested price. TODO
Recon sniper - Seen as fine as is, not an issue. Being used with expected regularity. Recon snipes being spammed was an issue the past and desire to avoid this returning.
Scout car - MG upgrade reduced to 60MP 30FU +1 pop. Base scout car down to 2 pop in line with jeeps/bikes/UC. +1 pop on upgrade to be implemented, hotfix soon
Trenches - Point of contention. Viewed as powerful and too prevalent, making it too easy to hold territory by some. Others view it is okay as it is. General feeling that fighting trench spam is frustrating. Also acknowledged that typical counters (flammenwerfers, MP44s) are getting cheaper in latest patch. Agreed to add +20 seconds to build time to combat the trench doomforts.
Devils Brigade - To be given elite criticals - somewhere between infantry and heroic criticals (Unlimited’s work). Idea to make them more attractive, currently seen as lacking.
Light AT HT - Seen as quite effective for their current pop/price. Get a good buff from Tank Hunters doctrinal buffs, but could do with buffs from other doctrines.
Pathfinders & Mech Infantry - To be replaced. Scheduled for longer term issues.
PGrens - PGrens currently very pop efficient when fully upgraded and sprint very prevalent. Tie sprint to vet sergeant upgrade and +1 pop. seriously, that is work. +1 pop to be implemented
Defensive LMG - Defensive LMG doctrinal buff to burst length currently not working as intended (buff is self applying when 2x LMGs purchased). Bug, and will be addressed. LMG to be given small cost increase to 80mu, irrespective of the bug seen as slightly too cost effective at present.
Walking Stukas - Going up to 250mp in latest patch.
Panzerfausts - Going to 35 munitions. Too easily spammable at present.
Gwagon - To be left, no strong feelings either way.
Ostwinds - Going down to 10 pop. Rarely seen.
KCH - To be left as they are. Doctrinal buffs currently being addressed.
G43 Slow - Felt currently too powerful and easily spammable. Price increase to 90mu. Should increase Ostfront G43s by 10 mu as well.
Recoilless Rifles - Being brought (back) down to 180mu.
M10s/M18s - Pop discussion on utility. Comparison made to other tank destroyers e.g. Stugs at 8. Going down to 9 pop.
Commandos - Unanimous agreement, munitions down to 130.
Overrepair/Repair - Re-enable decay on overrepair. We’re still working on how to implement a fix for one man squads. Temp solution

Many coders suffered to bring you this patch.

Addendum: Outlook:
In the coming month, we intend to take a look at underperforming doctrine choices, and doctrinal units. We will also further investigate our options for repair.
Please understand that these things take time, and require preparation.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 06:04:11 PM by UKPowerMax » Logged
sdauz
Supporter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 11:22:16 PM »

Thanks for the work guys. Reads like a lot of good moves in a solid direction. Cheers!
The Anchor
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 12:51:14 AM »

Well done, looks like you addressed a lot of the issues without going overboard, should shift the meta in a different direction.
Batgirl

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 02:52:00 PM »

I agree that small shifts are the way to go. I dont like the lower vp cost on offmaps, otherwise it looks good
Tommy952
Rules & Regulations Member
Game Design

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 03:54:07 PM »

Top work by the coders, thank you for your efforts. This is not a small patch and no mean feat to get it out on time!
Snarks
Design Team
epic lolcat

Toaster Bot

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 10:38:38 AM »

Something happened to the forum posting system. I cannot post anything without moderator approval.

PM me via forum or TeamSpeak3 for anything relating to balance and doctrines.

"I... wait I have to... I have to take the top off this beer bottle before it opens..." - Pengu
Mostly because I'm retarded.
Alex
Development

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 10:57:34 AM »

We are looking at fixing the issue as a matter of urgency.

This is not a conspiracy to silence members of the community, the forum software is old and there are many incompatibilities with modern hosting infrastructure.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 11:02:17 AM by Alex » Logged
sdauz
Supporter

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 09:00:18 AM »

Is anyone collecting agenda items for the community meeting?

If so, I would like offer a couple:

1. RB system - The ability to reset resource bonuses.

The present RB system while good, does lock you into RBs at the start. If you are playing a faction you like, you should be able to reset your RBs to change things up and try new strategies. The present system locks players unncessarily and this would seem like a quality of life improvement.

2. Company system - Having 4 war companies, one for each faction.

There are presently 2 war companies for allied and axis. To encourage play of all faction, we should have 4 war companies. Ideally, people should be able to play wher, pe, brits and ami anytime they wish. What value is there locking people into only wher or ami. This would be another quality if life improvement for players.

3. Balance team - Rotating all balance team members per war or every second war.

While we are all thankful for the work of the devs, it would seem clear to me to have an active, inclusive and responsive balance team that looks at the genuine conerns of players of all stripes and persuasions, balance dev roles should not be permanent. To make it clear, I do not want to be balance dev ever. I instead see much value from rotating the balance devs on a per war or every second war rotational basis. How these new devs would be chosen is not my concern, my main concern to avoid lethary, bais (real or percieved) and the formation of cliques that did so much damage to the reputation and player base of the last incarnation of OMG.

4. General balance - Making allied companies more fun.

The last patch was a step in the right direction and did promote allied play. This must continue and in my opinion radical steps are necessary to put bits and ami on equal footing with wher. I know some would disagree, but the general will of the player base and the war stats (whether you believe them genuine is not my concern, I believe them to be a valid reflection of the meta) is that allied companies need buffing.

*Update*

5. Getting people to donate.

After finding out robie pays like $25 and current donations only cover half of the costs of the servers, we need to find things that get people to donate. Maybe giving people who donate $5 or more access to 4 war companies might be an option.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 11:04:54 AM by sdauz » Logged
Tommy952
Rules & Regulations Member
Game Design

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 02:28:11 PM »

Not to preempt a discussion on the topics, however I believe I can provide an update for some of these
1. RB system - The ability to reset resource bonuses.
I did raise this at the last internal meeting, however it was pointed out that if you wish to reset RBs then you may as well just migrate your company. However I am sure if it was something widely wanted by the community then the coders could have a look at the feasibility.
This has long been on the wishlist for an updated WarCP. All I can say on this is that a lot of people want this and I am sure it will be in one day, however I understand it is not a simple task.
3. Balance team - Rotating all balance team members per war or every second war.
A radical solution to a problem I am not sure exists - but a discussion worth having. I think there is something to be said for consistency of balance and design, and it should be noted that the balance team now is different to the balance team of old OMG, which in turn was different to the balance team of old old OMG...so there is already churn as new people arrive and old people leave. The intended approach to balance going forward is, I think, as inclusive and transparent as it has ever been. Ultimately you still need a handful of decision makers but we are aiming to at the very least discuss every suggestion made in the forums and the discord, compiled at a regular basis and brought together for internal discussion. We aim to provide a justification for all of the changes made (including why suggested changes were not made) which we have started with the latest balance patch, and I think with time we will flesh that out even more. We are still just getting back on our feet and much of the development/design process is being formalised, improved and more clearly defined than I have ever seen it.
4. General balance - Making allied companies more fun.
This is a tricky one. To a certain extent we are limited by the original design choices made by Relic, and if we are to have a game that is mostly in keeping with vCoH design then that is not likely to change dramatically. I also think it is worth narrowing this down to specifics as much as possible - rather than an issue of Allies in general being "not fun", perhaps the issue specific doctrines? And is this a problem that affects Brits as much as US (I would say that Brits have a lot more "fun" units than US)? We have identified a couple of doctrines in need of most work - Airborne comes to mind - and I hope these changes, which will be released incrementally, will go some way towards addressing this. I know one area that the community would like us to examine is veterancy and making that a bit more engaging/interesting and I think that could potentially provide some solutions as well. But I am glad you think we are heading in the right direction with the latest patch.
5. Getting people to donate.
Reward units are already on offer for donators but this is definitely something worth discussing if people have ideas. Running out of money to foot the server bill was one of the problems OMG was running into prior to the last shutdown.
The Anchor
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 06:51:52 PM »

This has long been on the wishlist for an updated WarCP. All I can say on this is that a lot of people want this and I am sure it will be in one day, however I understand it is not a simple task

I think this point has, by far, the simplest solution! Just let people have a second account, either make it a requirement to have a similar name to your original like The Anch0r or a forum subsection to post your alternate accounts name and/or just not care about policing it because the community is very small and players would figure out who it is/ not care.
sdauz
Supporter

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 03:31:04 AM »

Hi Tommy, thanks for your point of view. I also look forward to hearing from others at the community meeting, which is on at 5am Australian time…sighhh :)

In response to the points you have raised:

1. Considering you lose VPs when migrating, I think it would be a nice feature to have to reset VPs and try a new strat if you want to maintain your doctrine. It is more of a nice to have rather than a necessity.

2. I like the solution of the Anchor if it is not a simple task. At this point, does anyone really care if people smurf.

3. I think there is a lot of conservative thinking in the balance team at present. I would like to see new people, with new ideas and new perspectives. If the team operates on a rotational basis, it may also greater inclusivity and ownership by the players of the mod. I do not know everything, but I know enough to know that I do not know that much. That is why having new blood in the balance team semi-regularly, rather than the same people from the last incarnation of OMG would be a better solution to me. I know you say it is a different team, but it is not that different. Same people, with the same biases and same pet peeves.

If the current team sets the format for how balance is discussed in future that would be a great goal and achievement. However, I still think they should not be the team ongoing ad infinitum.

4. For me personally, the power of shreks verus shermans could be a useful topic. Just thought I would mention the 30-ton elephant in the room.

5. I agree with the proposal. It is crazy to me that robie paying that much, and the devs are carrying the rest, and I think the rest of the community should step up.
RazorSixActual
Development

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 02:43:36 PM »

Full transparency: I manage the OMG patreon account, which directly deposits into an OMG paypal account. Due to the fact that Amazon doesnt accept paypal as a form of payment, my credit card pays for the mod in full every month, and then I transfer to my personal account the patreon donations for that month. Last month was covered in full by patreon donations as we switched to the beefier server late in the month, and there is some money left over in the paypal account, but this month will probably be short and I cover the rest.
Saavedra
epic lolcat

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2019, 09:37:07 PM »

• Infantry Halftrack resupply from 5 to 10
PGrens - PGrens currently very pop efficient when fully upgraded and sprint very prevalent. Tie sprint to vet sergeant upgrade and +1 pop. seriously, that is work. +1 pop to be implemented

Huh. I didn´t know you guys hated Pgren blobbing so much that you were straight up willing to kill the faction.
Pages: [1] Print