+  Operation Market Garden
|-+  General Category
| |-+  OMG Balance
| | |-+  Gripes
| | | |-+  On Piats
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: On Piats  (Read 1384 times)
UnLimiTeD
Former R&R | RGD coder
Development

Last of his kind

View Profile
« on: April 29, 2019, 11:10:05 AM »

This will probably be controversial on multiple levels, but:

What do ya all think of making Piats be blocked by standard buildings? Or less accurate.
Iīm not even bothered by them magically flying through them, and I totally donīt mind crushable hedges, but I believe them passing through buildings makes them very strong in urban environments, and that artifically limits what kind of maps players deem acceptable and balanced.
I don`t have the same problem with rifle grenades, as the usual brit player will only bring a handful, if any, but the PIAT is a brit players main AT.
This makes them stronger than other factions in urban areas, and disliked by the opposition, in the same way that allies are probably not too thrilled to see a trench line with lots of open space on both sides (88s).
Now, we likely can`t do much about PE suffering from vegetation, but every little bit helps. Maybe we can find a solution for that, too.
So far, maps people gravitate to have a lot of relatively open space, but not too large, with a few separating terrain features or small groups of buildings, usually partitioned into three main lanes.
I guess that works, but its also dull.
Of course, any other suggestion to help map diversity is also welcome.

Quote from: userstupidname
I have never done any retarded quotes?
Revenge is a dish best served from the Barrel of a StuH.
holoween
Game Design

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 12:26:00 PM »

The issue with city maps isnt piats but that certain companies become far more powerful in that terrain defensive with mortar bunker for example.

The reason the most poipular maps all feature open space and a village is that on these maps a company can play to its strength by playing smartly rather it being decided by map pick.
The reasons you end up with lanes is that you have 3 players to cover the map so you naturally set up in such a pattern.
UnLimiTeD
Former R&R | RGD coder
Development

Last of his kind

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 04:24:36 PM »

We usually also have 3 lanes on 4v4 maps, sometimes on 2v2s, as well. It just feels natural to have two sets of shotblockers or buildings, I guess.
Thing is, in the late days of old EiR, there was a map that was entirely city. Large roads, marketplaces, etc, there was open space, but buildings instead of groves, obviously rows of buildings.
And it was a great map. No one would play that now. No one played that anymore as soon as the OF factions came in, despite no mortar bunkers.
Same for, say, Radar Station.
... I wonder if we could modify the AI of light vehicles to navigate trees better.

Quote from: userstupidname
I have never done any retarded quotes?
Revenge is a dish best served from the Barrel of a StuH.
EarthShaker12

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 07:01:35 PM »

I would say if you are going to limit there guerrilla warfare potential they will need a munition decrease as without those niches they are inferior to shoulder launched weapons
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 12:46:21 PM by EarthShaker12 » Logged
OhSlowpoke
epic lolcat

Slowest of Slow

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 11:20:22 PM »

It would basically ruin them. No.

"I have no intention of shooting myself for that Austrian corporal!" - Generalfeldmarschall Friedrich Paulus

Pages: [1] Print