+  Operation Market Garden
|-+  General Category
| |-+  OMG Balance
| | |-+  Gripes
| | | |-+  A Review of Commandos
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A Review of Commandos  (Read 1886 times)
Stu

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2020, 07:45:33 PM »

For the past few months, Ive been learning (or attempting) the ins and outs of the Commando doctrine and thought to share a few thoughts about how to make the doctrine a touch more fair and balanced.

Pros: High mobility allows for shoot & scoot skirmishing and ambushes. Good infiltration being able to drop units anywhere on the battlefield. Triangulation offers a great resource to your team. Generally a good support & light attack style doctrine.
Cons: Not a durable company setup, perhaps the squishiest (most vulnerable) allied company. Soft hitting spec ops infantry & armor.

Im not complaining yet, thats what the company design is. But for OMG play purposes, here are my thoughts.

Commando infantry are definitely the fastest and most fun boys for shooty and scooty action, being able to pop smoke to get close to or evade enemies is a great asset for any type of fighting. However, their relatively low health & armour makes them a little soft skinned, and their sten guns have trouble hurting anything that isnt baseline infantry. Even when I get as close as possible to my targets, my Commandos tend to melt away when facing KCH, Stormtroopers, Ostfront Boys, or even regular PE infantry units which is frustrating. I know they are designed to be soft boys with lil guns for vCOH, but perhaps some tweaking could make the units capable against more axis infantry.

Triangulation: Probably the best part of the whole doctrine. Its definitely changed the way I approach the entire game, coordinating attacks, defense, fire support, etc. I usually have to rebuild radios 2-4 times, even more on small maps (as it becomes very difficult to infiltrate enemy lines and keep radios from being detected), and more players are getting wise to our tricks and are able to mitigate our sneaky moves. I know there exists a plan to limit the number of radios that can be put up, which is fair. Perhaps a higher cost combined with a moderate limit to radios?

Tetrarchs : Fun and wonderful to use as a meme unit. Dropping them behind lines with upguns is great for hunting down arty, repairing armour, etc. A fun unique doctrine unit.

Weapons teams: Lovely to have smoke to get out of trouble if needed. I dont use them often, but they fit with the doctrine nicely.

Lil AT gun: Also a neat doctrine unit. Nice to ambush with and have against infantry, but not as effective against actual tanks. It would be nice to have them move a little faster than regular AT guns due to their anti infantry & light vehicle role.

Other thoughts: Smoke for the LT? Airdropping supplies like airborne? A Mando sniper team? A recon/strafing/smoke bombing run airplane ability?
UKPowerMax
Development

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 08:55:38 PM »

Thanks for this Stuart! :)

"Lil AT gun: Also a neat doctrine unit. Nice to ambush with and have against infantry, but not as effective against actual tanks. It would be nice to have them move a little faster than regular AT guns due to their anti infantry & light vehicle role." - Agee.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 11:08:14 PM by UKPowerMax » Logged

- Saavedra

JJpunk (userstupidname)
epic lolcat

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 07:49:41 AM »

Maybe commandos would do with a similar upgrade like Blitzkrieg which gives elite armor to stormtroops for a cost to balance it out?

UnLimiTeD
Former R&R | RGD coder
Development

Last of his kind

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 12:41:28 PM »

The forums are basically dead and shut down, only accessible when freshly logged in or through an admin menu.
I recommend putting any suggestions into the respective discord channels.

Quote from: userstupidname
I have never done any retarded quotes?
Revenge is a dish best served from the Barrel of a StuH.
Pages: [1] Print